Coconut Grove’s Historic Timeline
Mid-1800s: Coconut Grove’s first documented settlers, Ann and Edmund Beasley, settle on the ridge in the vicinity of today’s Barnacle State Park.
1873: Dr. Horace Porter establishes the Cocoanut Grove Post Office.
1882: The Bay View House (later called the Peacock Inn) opens in today’s Peacock Park.
1887: Ralph Munroe and Kirk Munroe (no relation) found the Biscayne Bay Yacht Club, Miami-Dade County’s most enduring institution.
1889: The first public school opens. The building hosting it stands on the grounds of today’s Plymouth Congregational Church.
1891: Flora McFarlane, the first school teacher and first woman homesteader, founds the Housekeeper’s Club (today’s Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove).
1891: Ralph Munroe builds the original Barnacle.
1896: Paul Ransom founds the Pine Knot Camp as a school for boys. It later becomes the Ransom-Everglades School.
1909: Flora McFarlane and others organize a mission church, which is today’ St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church.
1918: Pittsburgh steel magnate, John Bindley, builds El Jardin, one of the first elements of a Millionaire’s Row.
1919: On the heels of the closing of the Naval Air Station, Coconut Grove incorporates as a Town.
Early 1920s: prominent architects like Kiehnel and Elliott begin to implement part of John Bright’s plan for a town center.
1925: Coconut Grove is annexed to Miami in a special annexation election.
1929: Pan American Airways establishes a seaplane base at Dinner Key.
1934: Pan American Airways Art Deco-styled terminal at Dinner Key is operating.
1954: The City of Miami establishes City Hall in the old Pan American terminal on Dinner Key.
1954-1956: George Engle purchases the Coconut Grove movie theater and converts it into the Coconut Grove Playhouse.
1955: Coral Reef Yacht Club opens along the Grove’s waterfront.
1963: To publicize “Irma La Douce”, then playing at the Playhouse, the institution’s promoters organize an art festival with a Left Bank ambiance, which becomes the popular Coconut Grove Art Festival.
1963: T. Trip Russell’s ambient Coconut Grove Library opens.
Late 1960s and beyond: Coconut Grove’s old wood-frame homes along Bayshore Drive give way to new high rise condominiums, hotels, and office buildings.
1973: The state of Florida purchases Ralph Munroe’s magnificent Barnacle property and soon after opens it as a state park.
1979: The Mayfair shopping mall opens amid much hoopla.
1990: Cocowalk, a large shopping, restaurant , and entertainment complex, opens drawing large droves of people to the historic village center.
Early 2000s: Coconut Grove adopts a consultant’s plan for a revamped waterfront, which promises to bring more park land, open vistas to the bay, and attractive amenities like upscale restaurants.
2010 – present: The 21st century has brought a new dimension to life in Coconut Grove, as a new class of creative professional entrepreneurs and industries have taken root in the central business district. Home to dozens of advertising agencies, design firms, architects, video producers, and web developers. These cultural influencers have found a home in the Grove and provide a backdrop that helps new and interesting businesses thrive.
Over the years the neighborhood has grown a strong community of those who live, work and play here. Many of the natives will tell you they literally never leave here- finding everything they need to live a rich, bohemian life within the borders of our lush tropical village.
One of the world’s most distinctive tropical neighborhoods. A culturally diverse, eclectic and fun-loving community. One of the most successful and desirable zipcodes in America. If you’re looking for a place to put down the roots of your business, Coconut Grove is that place.