Grove Heritage Day Celebrates Miami’s Oldest Neighborhood
Grove Heritage Day
Miami celebrated a big birthday this summer and its original neighborhood took us back in time for an experiential, interactive street fair. Keep scrolling for video, highlights and the original post.
Grove Heritage Day celebrates Miami’s legacy village
Miami is celebrating a big birthday this summer and its original neighborhood is taking us back in time for Coconut Grove Heritage Day, an experiential, interactive street fair!
Come dressed in costume from your favorite Grove era and frolic through designated Grove streets. We can’t wait to celebrate with you!
Going with the Grove vibe since 1873
Coconut Grove was founded in 1873 predating Miami’s incorporation on July 28, 1896. Unique to the Grove is the still evident and living history of early African-American and Bahamian culture.
The celebration of Coconut Grove’s role as Miami’s legacy village will take place on Saturday, July 31, 2021 culminating a week of events honoring Miami’s 125th anniversary of incorporation.
All five Miami commission districts will hold their own celebrations throughout the week. Grove Heritage Day will strive to be the grand finale.
Event Activities and Information
Event attendees can participate in a number of activities as part of Grove Heritage Day, including:
- A panel of leading historians on the history of Coconut Grove.
- An interactive “living history” series with actors and legacy family descendants in period attire participating in re-enactments and presentations, interacting with patrons throughout the day.
- Ambulating performers acting continuously throughout the event route, including actors in 3-5 minute theatrical vignettes, modern and African dance groups, junkanoo, marching band, stilt-walkers, drum circle and representation of King Mango Strut.
- Student art exhibition sponsored by the Dade Heritage Trust, themed “What Coconut Grove-Miami Means To Me”
- Graphic presentations of noted historic figures, places and events on freestanding backdrops or installations throughout the event sites and route antique car installation, motorcade crawl and exhibition.
- Curated craft-novelty and food vendors.
RSVP to this free event not required but recommended on Eventbrite.
Locations for Grove Heritage Day
Coconut Grove’s Village Center and Village West points covered for moving and stationary events: Charles Ave from Douglas Road (SW 37 Ave) east to Main Highway north along Main Highway to McFarlane Road and McFarlane Road to The Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove.
Event tag #groveheritageday
Grove Heritage Day Sponsors
With gratitude to our supporters!
City of Miami Mayor’s Office, Francis Suarez
Ariete Hospitality Group
LIFT Digital Media
Rebuilding Together Miami-Dade
Greater Miami Convention and Visitor’s Bureau
City of Miami Commission District 2, Ken Russell
Bahamas Consulate General
Miami-Dade Commission District 7
Sector Private-Public Partners, Inc.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
Congresswoman Frederica Wilson, District 24
The Barnacle Society
Coconut Grove Artisanal Market
Coconut Grove Sports Hall of Fame
Coconut Grove Homeowners & Tenants Association, HOATA
Friends of the Commodore Trail
Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church
St. James Baptist Church
The Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove